Mutual council home exchange
How we provide this service
Information about exchanging council homes is supported by Housing & Property Service Unit, Housing Operational.
A mutual exchange is where you swap homes with another tenant of South Holland District Council, another council or a housing association. As a secure tenant you have the right to exchange as long as you have written permission from us.
What to do to get this service
- Are you a Council or Housing Association Tenant?
- Do you have a Secure Tenancy?
- Is your rent account clear?
If you said yes to all three questions above, here's what to do next:
- Find someone to swap homes with; this can be done by registering your details on our database - contact Customer Services.
- We will advertise your home in the Council's reception area.
- You can find someone to swap with by advertising in the local press or local shops, or by contacting House Exchange.
Once you have found someone to swap with...
- Contact Customer Services for a mutual exchange application form (PDF) for you and the other person; you will both need to complete this application form and return it to us.
- We will check you rent account and visit you at home to check the property.
- We will let you know within 42 days of receipt of your application whether or not you can swap homes.
You must not make any plans to move until you have received written permission from us.
Who can apply?
Any local authority or housing association tenant.
How long will I have to wait for a response?
We must let you know within 42 days of receiving your application whether or not you can exchange properties.
Links to forms, leaflets and websites providing more information
A direct link to House Exchange.
Q. I have rent arrears - will this affect my mutual exchange application?
A. You will need to clear your rent arrears before we can agree to your exchange.
How do you rate this information / service?
If you have any queries about the information provided above, or require further information, please contact Customer Services on 01775 761161 or email email@example.com.