Council Payments and Account Balances
Please see below the different methods you can use to make payments to the Council.
The simplest way to pay your Council Tax or Business Rates is by Direct Debit.
Direct Debit is simple, convenient and a secure way to pay. Use this page to set up the payments.
- Set up your Direct Debit online.
- For Council Tax, you can also print the Direct Debit mandate [655kb] and return; or call us on 01775 761161, selecting option four, followed by option three, during normal office hours and we'll do it there and then for you. Please have your reference number and bank details ready when you call.
- For Business Rates, print the Direct Debit mandate [676kb] and return. If the bill is in your name and you are the bank account holder, you can also call us on 01775 761161, selecting option four, followed by option two, during normal office hours and we'll do it there and then for you. Please have your Business Rate account number and bank details ready when you call.
If you are already paying by Direct Debit, your payments will continue each year - unless you cancel the instruction with your bank or building society.
Paying your Council Tax or Business Rates in 12 Monthly Instalments
The full 12 instalments can only be given at the start of the financial year, where we have received sufficient notice. Where we cannot give 12, you will be given the maximum number of instalments to the end of the financial year. If you would like to opt in to the 12 month instalment plan, call us on 01775 761161 selecting option four, followed by option two for Business Rates or option three for Council Tax , during normal office hours and we'll do it there and then for you. Please have your Council Tax or Business Rates account number when you call.
To access our simple online payment portal click the Pay Online link for details.
You can now pay direct from your smart phone. Click the allpay link for details.
You can now pay your council bill at at store near you. Click the allpay link for details.
Post Office Small
You can pay council bills at your local Post Office. Click the allpay link for details.
Please make sure you take your bill along with you.
Automated Telephone Service
You can now make payments or check your account balance using our 24 hour automated telephone payment line. Calls are charged at the local rate. Please allow up to 3 working days for payments to reach us.
To use this service you will need:
- a touchtone telephone
- your account/invoice number and a debit or credit card
- a pen and paper ready to note the payment reference You will be led through a series of prompts. Please have your account/invoice number and card details ready.
Just call 0345 340 9310 and choose one of the following options:
- Option 1 for Council Tax;
- Option 2 for Housing Rents;
- Option 3 for Business Rates;
- Option 4 for Debtors Invoice; or
- Option 5 for Housing Benefit Overpayment.
The system will give you a payment reference to note down after a successful payment. This is your receipt and should be quoted in any correspondence with us relating to your payment (along with your account/invoice number).
Standing Order and Online Banking
To pay by standing order you will need to contact your bank. They will need to know the amounts to be paid, dates due and your account reference - this will be on your bill. They will also need our bank details, which are:
Sort Code: 30-00-00
Account Number: 00211567
Please allow at least 5 working days for these payments to reach us.
Accepted methods of payment
We cannot accept credit card payments for Council Tax, Business Rates or Housing Rents. You can use your credit card for any other service.