The Freedom of Information Act 2000 gives you a general right of access to all types of recorded information held by us. It says what information is not covered by that right and what we should do to help you to get the information. If you make a request for information, we have to inform you whether we hold it or not and, if you have the right to see it, to supply you with that information.
You already have a right of access to personal information about yourself under The Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act simply extends that right to cover all types of information with effect from 1 January 2005.
This page contains information regarding:
- We must publish a document called a 'Publication Scheme' that refers to all the types of information that we routinely publish or intend to publish. This includes the different formats the information is held in and where any charges apply.
- If the information you have asked for is not in our Publication Scheme, we must tell you whether or not we hold the information elsewhere.
- We must supply the information to you within 20 days if possible where there is no exemption and there is no fee to pay.
- We must give you reasonable assistance and advice if you need help to put your request together.
You can download a copy of the Council's Information Management policy. The policy confirms our commitment to support the principle that openness and not secrecy should be normal in public life. We want to create a climate of openness and dialogue with the public and improved access to information about the Council will help the development of such an environment. We also believe that individuals have a right to privacy and confidentiality.
You can download a leaflet on 'Your Rights and the Freedom of Information Act' (PDF, 59KB). This leaflet also outlines any complaints or appeals procedure you might wish to follow if you are not satisfied with the outcome of any request for information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Download a list of frequently asked questions on Freedom of Information.
Any request for information under the Freedom of Information Act must be in writing. This can include fax or email but to make your enquiry easier and to streamline our response, we have produced a Freedom of Information Access Request Form which will provide all the information we require to process your request.
If you have any questions about Freedom of Information, please contact:
Legal and Member Services
South Holland District Council
Tel: 0044 (0)1775 761161
Fax: 0044 (0)1775 711253
- Visit the Information Commissioner's website at www.ico.gov.uk and follow the link for Freedom of Information.
- Visit the Department for Constitutional Affairs website at www.justice.gov.uk .