South Holland DC
Search site

Starting a Food Business

Before you begin a new food business you will need to register and make sure that you are able to meet the standards set out in food safety law.


28 days before you start trading you will need to register your premises with the Council. Registration is free.  Download our pdf icon Food Registration form [108kb] and submit it either by email to or by post.  You will normally receive an unannounced inspection within 28 days of when you start trading. (Appointments will be made with domestic properties). 

In addition there are other things you will need to consider, depending on where you want to run your business from, and what you are hoping to produce. . This is not an exhaustive list and if there is anything you are not sure about you should contact the department either by email on or by telephone on 01775 761161, providing as much detail as possible.  You may also wish to seek your own independent advice.

Common Types of Premises

  • Mobile/Temporary Vehicles - This will need to be registered at the address where it is normally kept. If you are hoping to operate within the South Holland area you may need to apply for a pdf icon Street Trading Application form [27kb]. You will need to make sure that you have sufficient sinks with running hot and cold or mixed water (as a minimum one for equipment and one for hand washing) to prepare food safely. If you are providing tables for customers to sit at you will need to consider WC facilities. If you would like more information please see the Street Trading page.
  • Domestic Premises - you will still need to meet the requirements of food safety law. Your kitchen will need to have sufficient space and layout, be clean and well maintained, accessible hand washing facilities (separate from within your WC). You may also need to obtain planning permission.   See the leaflet pdf icon Advice for Home Caterers [2Mb] for further information.
  • Commercial Premises - If food or drink is consumed on the premises then customers will need to have access to toilets. The number of toilets which you must provide will depend on the number of seating you have (covers). See the Council's pdf icon Toilet Policy [162kb]for more detail. If you intend to make any structural alterations you should contact our building control and planning department.

Any premises where you are providing hot food or drink between the hours of 23:00hrs to 05.00 hrs will need to apply for a late night refreshments licence and if you plan to sell alcohol you will need to apply for an alcohol licence, more details are available on the Licensing web page.

Manufacturing Product of Animal Origin

If you are selling or making products of animal origin which are not sold directly to the final consumer you may need to apply for approval. For more details see the Food Standards Agency Website or contact us.


When you are inspected you will need to show that you and any staff you employ are adequately supervised, instructed and/or trained. The Food team at South Holland offer food hygiene training at level 2 and level 3, further detail can be found on our Food Hygiene Training page.

Documented Food Safety System (Legal Requirement)

All food business must have written food safety management procedures. The Food Standards Agency have developed a simple system called Safer Food Better Business for caters and retailers.  The extent of the procedures will depend upon the nature and size of your business, Safer Food Better Business may not be applicable for more complex operations (for example Butcher shops).   There is guidance on  available on the Food Standards Agency Website. When you are inspected the officer will expect to see this paperwork and the lack of it will affect your food hygiene rating.

Getting further advice

Helpful food hygiene advice is available on the Food Standards Agency website, particularly their leaflets Food Standards Agency advice on starting a catering business 

If you have questions, please feel free to email the Food, Health & Safety Team at or contact us by telephone on 01775 761161.

We have set up a commercial service to support new business.  If you are interested in one of our new business advice workshops, please visit the EHTC What's on section of our Environmental Health Training & Consultancy website


Powered by GOSS iCM