South Holland DC
Search site

Pest Control

We do not offer a pest control service. If you require this service please check the Yellow Pages or local press for details of suitable local companies.

Complaints about pest infestations

Although we don't provide a Pest Control Service we will still investigate issues relating to rats/mice arising in areas due to land and property owners not carrying adequate pest proofing/treatment.

How to prevent rice and rats on your land/property:

  • Get rid of food sources that attract rodents. You may need to temporarily stop feeding birds.
  • Clean up refuse areas and spilled rubbish.
  • Store pet food and pet bedding such as straw in sealed containers.
  • Keep refuse sacks in dustbins with lids. Seeds stored in garden sheds should be stored in containers.
  • Get rid of piles of scrap wood, gathered leaves, and redundant equipment where rodents can hide. Cut back weeds and clutter around buildings.
  • To stop rodents entering a building, fix and replace cracked or broken doors and windows and keep drains and drain covers in a good state of repair.

How to control a pest infestation:

You are required by law to deal with any rodent problems on your property.

If you suspect that you have a rodent problem, we would strongly recommend that you obtain professional advice rather than tackle the problem yourself, as this can often fail and these creatures constitute a health hazard.


Large numbers of insects can become a statutory nuisance if the increased population interferes with the comfort and enjoyment of a persons home and occurs as a result of a commercial activity. Although we may be able to consider action where the cause or source of the insects is from some industrial, trade or business premises, we are unable to take action if the source of the problem is a domestic property. Certain types of land are also excluded from the legislation and some premises are more likely to be a source of nuisance for example:

  • Poultry houses/farms
  • Sewage treatment works
  • Manure/silage storage areas
  • Animal housing
  • Stagnant ditches and drains

How do I get further advice?

Please complete the online form.

Pest controllers may also be found in the Yellow Pages; alternatively, the British Pest Control Association  or the National Pest Technicians Association  will be able to advise.

Powered by GOSS iCM