Council Tax Support
The Council Tax Benefit scheme ended on 31 March 2013. The Government requested all councils replace it with their own locally designed scheme from 1st April 2013. Due to significant cuts in Government funding it has not been possible for all South Holland residents to receive the same amount of help paying their Council Tax as in previous years.
Changes to the Council Tax Support Scheme from 1st April 2017
The changes will affect the amount of help that working age people can get towards their Council Tax. The changes will not affect people of pensionable age or those in receipt of War Disablement Pension.
From 1st April 2017:
- the amount that working age applicants will need to pay towards their council tax charge will be at least 30%;
- the amount of Council Tax Support that working age applicants can get will be limited to the Council Tax charge of a Band D property in their area;
- there will be a minimum Council Tax Support award of £5.00 per week for working age applicants. This means that where the calculation of Council Tax Support would be less than £5.00 per week, no Council Tax support will be paid.
- the amount of savings, capital and investments that a working age applicant can have will reduce from £16,000 to £8,000. This means there will be no entitlement to Council Tax Support for working age applicants with more than £8,000 capital;
- the lower amount of capital that a working age applicant can hold before it affects entitlement has been reduced from £6,000 to £3,000. This means that capital above £3,000 is assumed to generate £1 of income for every £250.00 held in the calculation of Council Tax Support;
- backdating of new claims for working age applicants will be limited to one month;
- the family premium will be removed from the Council Tax Support calculation for working age claimants who make a new application after 1st April 2017;
- non-dependant deduction(s) applied to the Council Tax Support calculation for working age claimants will increase by 10%;
- second adult rebate will reduce to 20% for working age claimants.
View our how to apply video - How To Apply
Council Tax Support will be calculated as a means tested discount, the amount each household will have to pay will be dependent on their individual circumstances.
The SHDC Council Tax Support Scheme 2017/18 is available to view in the related documents section below.