Private Sector Housing
What help and advice does the Council provide for private landlords and their tenants?
Our Private Sector Housing Team provides advice, inspection services and information including:
- the latest information on Housing Act legislation and regulations
- the Housing Health and Safety Rating System
- Houses in Multiple Occupation - HMOs - Licensing and management
- fire, gas and electrical safety
- amenities, space and overcrowding guidance
- home safety advice
What responsibilities do landlords or managing agents have?
It's the responsibility of the landlord or managing agent of the property to make sure that the property meets all current legal requirements, including the need to be aware of planning and building control matters.
Landlords and managers also have duties under:
- the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985
- the Defective Premises Act 1972
- the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
For Information on housing standards, visit the dashservices.org website here.
Local councils in England use the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) to assess housing under Part 1 of the Housing Act 2004.