South Holland DC
Search site

Bands and Appeals

Each property is valued and placed in a Council Tax band by the Valuation Office Agency - part of HM Revenue and Customs. The amount of Council Tax you pay depends on the band.

The Valuation Office Agency bands a property based on its value on 1 April 1991. Properties built after this date, are valued as if they had been built on 1 April 1991. The bands and property values are:

    •     Band A - Up to and including £40,000 
    •     Band B - £40,001 to £52,000 
    •     Band C - £52,001 to £68,000 
    •     Band D - £68,001 to £88,000 
    •     Band E - £88,001 to £120,000 
    •     Band F - £120,001 to £160,000 
    •     Band G - £160,001 to £320,000 
    •     Band H - More than £320,000

Your band is shown on your bill, but you can also check your band using this link.  Further information about Council Tax bandings can be found at how your home is banded.

Banding Appeals
You can appeal to the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) if you think your band is too high. This should be done within six months of moving in or becoming the owner. If you appeal you MUST carry on paying your bill. If your appeal is successful we will refund any overpayment. Please make an online proposal to the VOA if you wish to challenge your band.  Alternatively please call 03000 501501.

You can challenge your band directly with the VOA free of charge. Some companies may offer to appeal to the VOA on your behalf - they will normally charge you to do this.

The VOA cannot delete a band if a property is in poor repair. A band can only be deleted if the property is derelict and uninhabitable.  The VOA factsheet will give you further guidance. 

Frequently Asked Questions
Q. My neighbour's house is the same size as mine. Why are the bands different?
A. Contact the VOA and ask them to check their records.

Q. I have just bought a property. Why has the Council Tax band increased?
A. If there has been an extension or renovation to the property, the VOA will review the band when the property is sold.

Q. Can I get a reduction for a factory or nuisance business nearby?
A. The VOA may consider reducing your band if the value of your property is likely to be affected and the physical state of the local area has changed.

Powered by GOSS iCM