South Holland DC
Search site

Disabled Relief

You may get a reduction on your Council Tax if you or someone living with you is permanently and substantially disabled. The disabled person can be an adult or a child.

As well as being disabled, one of the following conditions must be met:

  • An extra bathroom or kitchen in your property is needed by the disabled person
  • For a wheelchair user there must be enough space for it to be used within your home
  • A room mainly used by the disabled person for the needs of their disability (NOT a bathroom, kitchen or toilet)

If you are granted Disabled Relief your Council Tax charge will be based on a band lower than the actual band of your property; for example, Band C properties are charged as if they were in Band B. If you live in a Band A property you will be given a reduction equal to 1/9th of a Band D charge. See the pdf icon Council Tax charges 2017-18 [23kb] for current amounts.

Disabled Relief makes sure that disabled people needing extra space because of a disability are not punished by having to pay more Council Tax. For full details please read the pdf icon guidance notes [32kb]. If you think you may qualify, print and return the completed pdf icon application form [47kb].

Upon return of the form a home visit will be arranged. Occasionally, a doctor's certificate may also be required - we will advise you if this is needed.

If you qualify for Disabled Relief you must tell us within 21 days if there is a change that might affect it. We can impose a £70 penalty if you do not tell us about a change.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Will someone from the Council visit my home?
A. Yes. We will contact you to arrange a convenient time to visit. The visit is to confirm the details provided on the application form. We will always carry an identity card when visiting your home.

Q. Can I appeal if you do not grant this reduction?
A. Yes. You need to write to us giving the reasons why you don't agree with our decision. We will reply to you within two months. If you still do not agree with the decision, or we have not replied within two months, you can then appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.

Powered by GOSS iCM