South Holland DC
Search site

Council Tax Discounts

We can apply discounts to reduce your bill in certain circumstances, such as a single person living alone or with a carer or student. If you qualify for a Council Tax discount you must tell us within 21 days if there is a change that might affect it. We can impose a £70 penalty if you do not tell us about a change.

Occupied Properties
The full Council Tax charge assumes there are two adults living in your property. The charge is based on 50 per cent for two adults and 50 per cent for the property. Certain people will not be counted when looking at the number of adults living in a property.

These are:

•     People being cared for in nursing or residential homes
•     Patients resident in hospital
•     People who are pdf icon severely mentally impaired [63kb]
•     Full time pdf icon students [58kb]and pdf icon apprentices [46kb]
•     18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school
•     Care workers for local authorities or charities, on low pay, providing care for resident person/s
•     pdf icon People caring [50kb] for someone who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18
•     Members of religious communities
•     People in prison
•     People staying in night shelters or hostels
•     Members of visiting forces
•     People who are diplomats
•     People over 18 still receiving child benefit

You can claim a 25 per cent discount if only one person living in your property is counted and 50 per cent discount if none are counted.

Single Person Discount
If you live alone or are the only adult, you can get a 25 per cent discount - providing the property in question is your main home.  Complete and return the pdf icon Single Person Discount application form [39kb].  If the property is not your main home, please see our Second Homes information.

From 1 April 2014, annexes occupied as part of the main home or lived in by a relative can also receive a 50 per cent discount. Further information can be found on the reverse of our pdf icon Occupied Annexe application form [60kb]

If the relative is either aged 65 or over, severely mentally impaired or substantially and permanently disabled, the annexe may be exempt, see Exemptions for further details.

Unoccupied Property? Check our Unoccupied Properties page.

Applying for a discount
A number of the application forms and notes can be downloaded from the Related Documents section at the bottom of this page. If you cannot see the application form you require, please contact us at or on 01775 761161, selecting Council Tax and hold to speak with an advisor.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q. My husband works away all week and only comes back home for holidays. Can I have a Single Person Discount?
A. No - case law has established that a person's home will be regarded as 'where they would normally live were it not for their work commitments' even if the majority, or virtually all of their time, is spent elsewhere. In this case the husband's main residence is with his wife.

Q. Do I get a discount if my partner is a student?
A. Possibly- if there are only two people living in the property then you may receive a 25 per cent discount. Read and complete the pdf icon Student application form [58kb].

Powered by GOSS iCM