South Holland DC
Search site

Alcohol and Entertainment

Information on how to apply for premises licences, club premises certificates, TENs and personal licences.

The Licensing Act 2003 affects anyone concerned with:

  • pubs and nightclubs;
  • private member clubs and social clubs;
  • off-licences;
  • restaurants that serve alcohol;
  • indoor sporting events;
  • hotels, guest houses and other places that sell alcohol;
  • businesses offering hot food between 11pm and 5am (with certain exceptions);
  • theatres and amateur dramatic groups;
  • cinemas;
  • organisers of occasional entertainment.

Under the Licensing Act 2003 a premises licence is required where any Licensable Activities are taking place.

Licensable Activities are:

  • To sell alcohol by retail.
  • If you are a qualifying club, to supply alcohol to a club member, or to sell alcohol to a guest of a club member.
  • To provide regulated entertainment.
  • To sell late night refreshment.

These Licensable Activities may only be carried on under, and in accordance with, one of the following:

Designated Premises Supervisor  must hold a Personal Licence and is the person specified on the Premises Licence who is responsible for authorising the sale of alcohol. This person must be readily identifiable and will normally be given day-to-day responsibility for running the premises.

The Act itself sets out key licensing objectives that must be promoted by the Council, as the licensing authority, in carrying out its duties under the licensing system. The licensing objectives are:

  • The prevention of crime and disorder.
  • Public safety.
  • The prevention of public nuisance.
  • The protection of children from harm.

Licence holders, South Holland District Council and Responsible Authorities must all work together to promote theses objectives.

The council has prepared a Licensing Policy which must be reviewed every five years or sooner if necessary. The purpose of the policy is to set out the approach that the licensing authority intends to take when determining applications and carrying out its duties with regard to regulation and enforcement.

The Final Statement of Licensing Policy approved by Full Council in 2015 is available on the Licensing Policy Statement page.

There is currently no cumulative impact policy in place in the South Holland District Council area.

A register of all South Holland District Council licensed premises can be found on our public register. We also have pdf icon guidance on how to use it. [453kb]

View our Licensing Act 2003 - General Information for further information around alcohol and entertainment licences.

If you require further information or are unsure if you need a licence please contact us.

Powered by GOSS iCM